Inspiration, Censor, Editor, Pet

Inspiration, Censor, Editor, Pet
Miss Mouthy Mouse

Sunday, October 13, 2013

Poison & Wine Inspiration


This weekend was filled with all the usual to-do lists, and high on the list was continuing the planning stages of my NaNoWriMo novel. I've been reading about how others prepare, their "survival kits," and their playlists. I haven't really written to specific music before. I'm fortunate in that I can write in silence or amidst the hum of everyday noise. Yet, I find myself looking for ways to NOT WRITE the way I have in the past because those habits have led to much unfinished work.

So, as I've measured myself against the other WriMos in the forums, I began to think about making a storyboard--a map of my fictional town, Burgey; a cd with cool songs on it that somehow fit the tone and mood of the characters; and a poster of pictures of houses, businesses, faces of characters.

Next, I moved on to jotting down all the different tidbits of information I know about my characters: hobbies, aspirations, fears, relationships. I decided on names for peripheral characters who own businesses in town that my MCs will meet and get to know. I listed scenes I think that will need to happen. I threw out some pivotal moments that will move the plot forward, and then, it was really quite cool--my MC, Jen finally showed me what she looked like. I've been waiting for about three weeks for this.

Now that I know what my girl looks like, I sat down and talked with her about her friends, her husband, why she's so disengaged from her life, and she spilled her guts. One of the things we talked about was how she and her husband were growing apart--but he doesn't really know it. Then, music filled my mind, and I realized that I had a song for my playlist. This is the song for Jen & Will during the struggle. I hope their song by the end of the book is a much happier one. These are two great people; I want them to be happy.

And so, the first song officially on my playlist for NaNoWriMo is "Poison and Wine" by the Civil Wars. Here's a link to the official video on Youtube.




No comments:

Post a Comment