Inspiration, Censor, Editor, Pet

Inspiration, Censor, Editor, Pet
Miss Mouthy Mouse

Monday, October 7, 2013

NaNoWriMo, Me?






What would possess a person to commit to an attempt to write 50,000 words in 30 days? Right now, according to the NaNoWriMo website, there are more than 50,000 folks signed up and ready to go. (So, does that mean if everyone wrote one word--everyone would win?)

For some people--it's the Viking horns.
For others, it's the competition to churn out a novel-sized, novel-like piece of text.

For me--it's a carrot dangling at the end of a stick to continue my goal of claiming my label of writer. I don't think I can write a novel in 30 days. I do think I can have a heck of a skeleton created. There may even be parts that remain useable through a couple of drafts.

I've waited far too long to BE this thing that I think that I am, have always been, but self-doubt, low self confidence, and some fun-crushing belief instilled in me since before I have memory that "until your work is done, you cannot play" have held me back.

So, as I work through October, I'll be doing my usual school related duties, volunteer activities, and I'll be planning. Talking to my characters to find out their backstory. Scouting out the locations that matter to them, the homes they live in (yes, Joseph--what that damn kitchen looks like so I won't have anyone reach into the dishwasher when they meant to reach in the salamander), and the places where they find happiness. I plan to take my characters to dinner, let them pick the tv shows, and invite them to trust me with their stories.

Then, come November 1--I will be getting up early and going to bed late, trying my best to jump off cliffs and write approximately 1667 words per day. So:
  • if you don't hear from me,
  • if you notice that I'm pale and tired looking,
  • if you think my clothes are wrinkled a little more than usual, 
  • if you catch me talking to myself, 
give me a hug, a fist bump, a knowing nod--hell drop a fiver in my hand for a burger! You'll know what I'm up to.

Ask me how it's going, but don't ask me what it's about. It's about me trying to prove to myself that spending my time telling tales is an acceptable use of MY time.

I expect a great dinner out with some of you during the first part of December to celebrate the first draft of Lifelike Pose by Jill Snyder Hughes.

No comments:

Post a Comment